Sunday, February 19, 2012

Is the tablet market moving too fast?

Have you caught your breath yet? Are you shopping for your first tablet? Have you just recently bought a tablet and now feel the need to upgrade? The question I have is whether the tablet market is moving too fast.

I bring this up because Asus just released the Transformer Prime tablet and just recently announced a new version coming in just a couple months. The intial pre orders haven’t even totally shipped! Imagine having just bought a tablet to read that a new tablet is on the way that is a much better resolution than the one you JUST bought. There is a lot of excitement around tablets, I get that. I do not get the fact that a $500 tablet like the Motorola Xoom or 10.1-Inch Galaxy Tab are outdated so quickly. I think the pace is almost extreme. It’s catch up but the cost hits the consumer. Nobody wants to feel like they bought an outdated piece of technology at a high price tag within a couple months of the purchase.

I look at Tegra 3, the new quad core processor from Nvidia. It’s aggressive isn’t it? A new processor with tremendous improvements over the last in such close proximity to the Tegra 2 seems a bit hurried to me. How can a manufacturer pump out the Tegra 2 tablets, get them sold when everyone is already talking about how great Tegra 3 is? Imagine sitting on an inventory of Xoom tablets right now.

Lest I not forget about Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Forget about having the older processor. How about being stuck with the not so great previous versions of Android? It’s a natural feeling to be a bit frustrated and waiting on pins and needles to see if your tablet will get the update to the new Android version.

I’m not trying to overly negative. It’s just my view on what’s happening. The turnover to me seems much too fast. Heck it’s good for us. You’re going to see deep discounts on the older model tablets because shelf space is needed for the new models.